DA to Licensure Program – New for 2022
A uniquely different pathway to licensure for working dental assistants
This educational program is specially designed for working entry-level dental assistants who need an alternative to a full-time RDA educational program. With the ultimate goal of obtaining a license as a Registered Dental Assistant, students will use a combination of their current work experience with our formal education to meet the Dental Board requirements to apply to complete their State licensing examination.
The entry requirements for this program are as follows:
- Be at least 17 years of age and possess a driver’s license
- High school diploma or GED
- Must obtain current status on MMR and HepB vaccinations and TB testing
- Must be currently employed by a dental office and have completed at least four (4) months work experience in the dental office as an unlicensed dental assistant;
- If unemployed at present but can show proof of recent experience as a dental assistant (within the past six months), verifiable proof of prior work experience may be allowed
- If experienced as a foreign trained dentist or dental healthcare provider from another state, evidence of prior experience will be considered and may be allowed
- Completion of an application and submission of a $500 non-refundable application fee to the Institute to reserve a seat in the next cohort
This program totals six (6) months and 535 hours of combined class, laboratory, clinical and home-study work. On-campus classes meet two (2) weekends per month, Saturday and Sunday, for approximately seven (7) hours each day; all additional work is completed as clinical internship in an extramural facility – the current workplace.
During enrollment, students will obtain all theoretical knowledge, complete dental assistant and RDA tasks in a simulated lab environment and all the necessary clinical competencies needed to successfully pass the licensure examinations after all work experience and certifications have been obtained.
Our DA-to-Licensure program will provide students with the follow certifications:
- 8-hour Infection Control certification
- 2-hour Dental Practice and Dental Assisting Jurisprudence certification
- HIPAA and HITECH certification
- BLS certification for healthcare providers through the American Heart Association
- Radiation Safety certification
- Coronal Polish certification (only toward the end of program just prior to application to the Dental Board)
In addition, the student will learn the theory behind each allowable duty for the unlicensed assistant, the theory and clinical performance of most of the RDA functions and will complete their education simultaneous to meeting the work experience requirements so that the student can apply for their RDA immediately upon graduation from the program.
This uniquely created program is today’s option for those seeking the formal education pathway with working experience. All certification courses completed while enrolled in the DA to Licensure program are Dental Board approved and all hours completed in the program will be verified by the Program Director on the students licensure application along with all necessary verifiable work experience from the employing dentist.
For more information about the DA-to-Licensure program, please contact our office at (916) 358-3825 and ask to make an appointment to see our facility and meet with our staff to obtain more information.